5.24.2012

Remembering the 'Hail Mary'

Within a few minutes Robin's team of doctors at this point were running into the room, because the baby had fallen off of the monitor.  They advised that an emergent C-section was necessary and that they would need to put Robin under, so I would not able to join them in the room.  They had her wheeled out of the room and toward the OR before I could really think of any questions.  They didn't have time to answer them though any way.

The plan that Louise had presented the night before was not going as she thought because they had Robin moved out so fast that they did not remember to have someone take me to the NICU to wait for my new baby.  I stood in the hallway outside the OR until what had to be the only nurse not involved in Robin's c-section saw me and asked if she could help me.  I just let her know my wife was in surgery and I don't know what I am supposed to do now, but I wanted to be wherever the baby would be asap.  She took me back to the room we stayed the night in and said that she would have someone come in there shortly to get me over to the NICU.

I sat there and waited and tried to pray the rosary.  I could not remember all the words to the 'Hail Mary' so I said a different version of it through the first half until I finally figured it out.  About then, Louise walked in.... with the news.  She explained why everthing moved so fast, and that within 1 minute of Robin being put to sleep, they had our baby girl out.  She did not have a heart beat and was not breathing, but they quickly got her breathing, stabilized, and she was on her way to the NICU.  We had a baby girl and that is how I found out.  Louise did not know this was a surprise, and almost lost it as well when she saw my reaction.  

At this time, though, I remembered our ultrasound tech from the day before that put her lunch off to see Robin.... we have angels.

She took me to the NICU where I was waiting when our baby girl was brought in to her temporary home.

No comments:

Post a Comment