5.24.2012

Magged Up

The baby was born at 8:03 AM and by  noon, mom was awake enough in the recovery room to get wheeled in for her first look at our baby.  Just a couple minutes before that I went to the recovery room and discussed finalizing a name with Robin.  We had two names ready for a girl, and I had become tired with continuing to call our daughter 'it', 'baby girl' or 'baby Race'.  We decided on KelliAnne.  Thanks to the magnesium, Robin did not remember this until we discussed again later.  Luckily for me, I proceed with sharing this info with everyone and Robin still liked the name when she was more coherent later on.

The baby was also pretty magged up according to the nurses, which explained why they were not  seeing much movement from her.  Throughout the entire first 19 hours of KelliAnne's life, I talked to her and tried to get her to move.  I was convinced her eyes moved more when I spoke to her.  The nurses told me she probably recognizes my voice and that it would be important to talk to her as much as possible, as well as do 'hand containment' so she can learn my smell.  Hand containment is a way to hold a baby that you can not actually lift out of the isollete by putting pressure on their hands, legs, head or bum to make them feel secure and like they are still in a tight womb.

Robin was pretty out of it all day and in too much pain to really visit much that day, but did manage 1 more quick trip to see the baby when she was really coherent later that first day.  Robin forced herself through some pain to sit up in a wheel chair just several hours after a major surgery so she could 'hold' her baby the first time.  Mom didn't mind much that the baby could not move, just really felt the connection being with her.

1 comment: